Rosenblatt’s Construction and Projects team provides support in both transactions and dispute issues to clients involved in construction operations.
Stuart joined Rosenblatt as a partner in 2017. A dual qualified, US Lawyer and UK solicitor, Stuart specialises in construction law, property development and dispute resolution. Stuart acts for property developers and their funders and drafts and negotiates building contracts, professional appointments, collateral warranties and all associated construction documents.
He frequently deals with cross-border construction disputes and has conducted ICC, LCIA and AAA Arbitrations. He often acts for US companies carrying out work in Europe and the Middle East in both the construction and energy sectors. Stuart was a member of the 2002 drafting committee responsible for producing the Society of Construction Law, Delay and Disruption Protocol.
Below are some examples of Stuart’s previous work:
- Acting for the Contractor in its dispute against the Employer on a copper mining project in Kazakhstan. The contracts in dispute are an EPC contract, an engineering design and services contract and equipment supply contracts. Dispute resolution is LCIA Arbitration in London and the value of the dispute is in excess of $15 Million.
- Acting for the operator of container terminal services at the port of Umm Qasr, Iraq. The operator is in dispute with a shipping company under a terminal services contract. Arbitration of the dispute has been commenced in accordance with the London Maritime Arbitration Association Terms. Arbitration is in London before a tribunal of three arbitrators.
- Acted for a specialist sub-contractor on its five disputes arising out of the construction of the New Doha International Airport. Multimillion dollar claims have been submitted up the contractual chain for delay and prolongation damage and three ICC Arbitrations were commenced.
- Acted for the Ministry of Oil of a Middle East government on the return of monies held in London banks connected with the construction of a number of pipelines.
- Acted for a family group of companies performing power station projects and oil and gas exploration and production projects in the Kurdistan region of Iraq.
- Acted for an oil producer in an LCIA arbitration concerning a dispute under a drilling services contract in a former Soviet Republic.
- Acted for Employers, Contractors and Subcontractors on UK construction adjudications.
- Acting for Northern & Shell Plc on the redevelopment of the Westferry Printworks site on the Isle of Dogs. The project includes the demolition of the print works, remediation of the site, construction of a central basement, and the construction of four residential towers and numerous commercial buildings. The construction period will be approximately six years and construction spend will be approximately 650 million pounds.
- Acted for a UK based Hotel Group on developments in London, Manchester and Leeds. Advice included drafting and negotiating all building contracts, professional appointments and associated documents for each development. The two London Hotels at the time of construction, 2010, were the largest new build hotels construction projects in London.
- Acted for the developer on the Resi Award 2016 winning Development in Mayfair, London which consisted of seven exceptionally high quality luxury apartments. Advised on all construction aspects of the development including building contracts, professional appointments, collateral warranties and bonds.
- Acted for a UK NHS Trust on the negotiation of the Project Agreement for the design, build operation, and maintenance of an energy centre for a term of 15 years.
- Advised a UK port operator on its change order/variations disputes arising under ICE based contract for the construction of a warehousing and distribution centre.
- Negotiated the building contract and professional appointments and associated collateral warranties for a casino operator on two projects, one in the North of England and the other in Wales.
- Acted for the developers of a 480MW gas fired power station in the UK. Negotiated the FIDIC based construction contract, the O&M agreement and the monitoring/testing agreement.